An article taken from the December 25, 1941, Idaho Enterprise, describes the first Oneida County Courthouse.
“Malad City contains a fine courthouse, which was built in 1882 at a cost of about $12,000, finished in the best style, and furnished throughout neatly and tastefully.
“The building is a two-story building, with a balcony extending across the full length of the upper story, reached by a flight of easy steps. In the center of the building is a projection, which is carried up and terminates in a tower on which are clock faces and ornamental work. The top of the tower and building is mounted with a handsome iron creating.
“The whole presents a neat appearance, and the building is not excelled in style, finish, and convenience by any courthouse in Idaho, It is a credit to those who designed it.
The Courthouse was remodeled in 1906.
In 1938 an issue came before Oneida County voters to approve a bond in the amount of $65,000 to build a new courthouse. It would cost $10,000 to remodel the old building, and as noted in the September 29, 1938 Idaho Enterprise, “even with this expenditure the old building will still be inadequate and unsatisfactory.” Voters authorized the bond issue 394 to 76 to erect a new building on the same site as the old.
The new “art deco” style courthouse was built in 1939. The architects were Sundberg & Sundberg and Olsen & Sons. On November 27, 1987, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.